death to america

hasta la victoria siempre

175 notes

When this [women’s] movement criticized rape, it meant rapists and the point of view that saw rape as sex. When it criticized prostitution, it meant pimps and johns and the point of view that women are born to sell sex. When it criticized incest, it meant those who did it to us, and the point of view that made our vulnerability and enforced silence sexy. When it criticized battery, it meant batterers, and the point of view that violence expressed the intensity of love. Nobody thought that in criticizing these practices, the movement was criticizing their victims.

It also criticized sacred concepts from the standpoint of women’s material existence, our reality, concepts like choice. It was a movement that knew when material conditions preclude 99 percent of your options, it is not meaningful to call the remaining 1 percent—what you are doing—your choice. This movement was not taken in by concepts like consent. It knew that when force is a normalized part of sex, when no is taken to mean yes, when fear and despair produce acquiescence and acquiescence is taken to mean consent, consent is not a meaningful concept.

Catharine Mackinnon, Liberalism and the Death of Feminism

Filed under catharine mackinnon

  1. sadfeminist reblogged this from staininyourbrain
  2. dreignus reblogged this from staininyourbrain
  3. happybagelbakery reblogged this from staininyourbrain
  4. staininyourbrain reblogged this from yoursocialconstructsareshowing
  5. readinglist32 reblogged this from ultraleftist
  6. unobject reblogged this from mariecalloway
  7. paganatheist reblogged this from mariecalloway
  8. seebster reblogged this from yoursocialconstructsareshowing
  9. floydinfredericton reblogged this from mariecalloway
  10. dragonsupremacy reblogged this from exgynocraticgrrl
  11. mikroblogolas reblogged this from dezsa
  12. dezsa reblogged this from exgynocraticgrrl
  13. laagrado reblogged this from sweetpotatopig
  14. stealingintolanguage reblogged this from blinko
  15. understandingghosts reblogged this from hr-stasistuff
  16. hr-stasistuff reblogged this from turning0nthelatheofheaven